How to Repair Water Damaged iPhone or iPod Touch
We all love our Apple products but when an iPhone or iPod Touch gets damaged by water it certainly does not help the inner workings of the device. The damage is not permanent as long as the correct course of action is taken quickly.
As the devices are not covered by the device warranty or the optional AppleCare coverage it is important to act quickly before the moisture affects the delicate electronics.
How to Repair Water Damaged iPhone or iPod Touch:
- Ensure that the device is switched off and any cables that are connected are removed. The devices should also not be turned on till the water damage has been repaired. The buttons should also not be pressed either.
- The next thing is to remove the SIM card from the device and wipe gently with a paper towel and allow it to dry.
- A microfiber cloth can be very useful to remove any additional moisture and to make sure it has completely dried out.
- It is then necessary to dry the actual device itself. For this use a hair dryer on a low setting to force the air out of the device. It is essential to use a cool setting on the hair dryer. A high setting blowing out very hot air can damage the device. Not advised!
- Rice now comes in very handy! Place a small cup full of rice into a plastic bag and then put the device into the bag. The rice should now soak up and additional moisture left in the device. Keep the bag partially open to allow the humidity to escape.
- The device should be left in the rice bag for as long as possible. Usually 24 hours is enough, however, if there is still moisture present, add more rice and leave it again.
- This should now have removed 99.9% of the water from the device and should be back to normal working order after it has been switched on. Give it a go and try a few of the applications.
- If it is still not working like it should do, take it to the nearest Apple store where they will be able to advise you further.
While dropping an iPhone or iPod Touch into water or just getting it wet in the rain may seem like a disaster at the time, there is still hope. Taking prompt action will ensure that any moisture will have a limited amount of time to cause significant damage and make sure that it stays in good working order.
Well, I hope that these tips have helped you. Feel free to add your comments below and I look forward to hearing your success stories!